West Memphis 3 Cases Reversed and Remanded
“Therefore, we reverse and remand for an evidentiary hearing and reconsideration of the motion in light of the proper interpretation of the statutes.”
Echols v. State, 2010 Ark. 417, at 16.
The Arkansas Supreme Court handed down opinions this morning in the West Memphis 3 cases. The Court reversed all three cases and remanded for evidentiary hearings to be held in accordance with the proper interpretation of the relevant statutes.
Here are links to the opinions:
The Echols case was argued to the Arkansas Supreme Court on September 30, 2010. Click here to view the video of the oral argument.
News Coverage of Today’s Opinions:
- CNN: West Memphis 3 cases to receive hearing, possible new trial.
- Arkansas Times Blog: New hearings ordered in W. Memphis 3 case.
- Forbes (AP): Court orders new trial for 3 in Ark. scout deaths.
- KATV: New Hearing Ordered for WM3 Defendants.
- Arkansas Business (AP): UPDATE: Court Orders New Hearins for Damien Echols, Jesse Misskelley, Jason Baldwin in West Memphis Three Case.
UPDATED News Stories:
- Arkansas Online: Echols’ wife praises high court order
- CBS News Crimesider: “West Memphis 3” Get New Hearing in Murders of Three 8-Year-Old Cub Scouts
- MSNBC: Court orders new hearing over murders of three 8-year-old scouts
- Arkansas Online: Judge in West Memphis case stands by ruling
- KTHV: WM3 press conference, November 4, 2010
- CBS News 48 Hours | Mystery: A Cry for Innocence (with Johnny Depp).